Home

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Some highlights from Kamp so far.

Well, it is good to be at Kamp! Other than the stitches, I would give our first few days at K-West a big thumbs up. Here are just a few fun moments.

1. OK, this one isn't fun, but I'll document it. Carter's injury occurred when he was riding his scooter on the tennis courts last week and crashed right into a metal pole. It gashed his head open right above his right eye. I was in the office and someone came in to tell me that Carter had just taken a spill on the tennis courts. When I cam out, there was Catie carrying a very bloody Carter who was screaming "blood, blood!" Everyone jumped into action: the dock daddies ran to find Todd, Lindsay got the first aid kit, Michelle called Linda Zimmer, Alexis brought the van around to the front of the office, Catie kept the other three boys calm; all while I held Carter. We drove from K-West to Branson to take him to the emergency room. He was a trooper, but I could hardly look at him. I kept talking to his knees while he laid on the ER table and waited for the doctor. Stitches are supposed to come out on Monday.

2. Catie has been a terrific kid-sitter! She connected quickly with the boys and really plays with them. What a blessing!

3. Alexis at kamp! Can I just tell you how fun it is to have my little sister working at K-West? It makes me think back to my first Staff Training week when I came to Kanakuk - 15 years ago! Wow. Alexis is outgoing and makes friends easily. Tonight she and I choreographed part of a dance that will be taught to the K-West komo kampers.

4. Tommy and Lila are here! Todd's parents are here for a week which is really fun. Todd's dad is serving as the kamp doctor for this week and so the boys are spending lots of time with Grandad and Lila.

5. KU fight song - this is becoming a tradition. Tonight at dinner, the staff started chanting, "Bronwyn, Bronwyn" and so I did the Jayhawk fight song routine from my college days. Hysterical.

6. Ice cream social - the three oldest boys got to stay up late last night to make ice cream sundaes with all of the staff. They piled on the toppings and learned to play a funny Ninja game. When Hunter was a baby, Trish Helsel once told me that as a parent the greatest thing anyone can ever do for you is when they love your kids. We get to experience that every day in mega proportions here at Kamp. I can't believe how great the staff are with the boys.

7. Tennis Court games. It seems that the Rapp boys are wanting to be a part of the action at K-West more than ever before. Tonight they played zombie tag, four-square, kickball, etc. with the guys and gals of K-West.

8. Fantastic office staff! All of the office gals working 1st session are veterans and they are super fun! It is going to be amazing to have them here and get to work with them for the next 7 weeks.

That is it for tonight. Special congratulations to Miss Ellen Davis and Miss Emily Aiken who just graduated from Samford University. We miss you lots here at K-West. Love these girls who have spent time with the Rapp family for the past few summers.

2 comments:

jennaferwhite said...

I have tears in my eyes! Thanks for letting me have a taste of Kamp from afar!!!! Please update often!!!!

Ellen Davis said...

Thanks, Bronwyn! Miss you!