Home

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Through the eyes of a child

I can't remember quite how it came up, but the boys and I were talking the other day about how one day Jesus is coming back. Connor said, "I hope Jesus comes back while I am still alive." Then he thought for a moment and added, "I'm luckier than you mom because I am younger and have more time in my life." His words really made me think. Here is my 8-year-old expressing such excitement for Jesus' return. No worries, no anxiousness, not even a hint of "well I want to do _____________ before Jesus comes back.

It made me think of the words of this precious old song.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim

In the light of His glory and grace

Why is it that the things of this earth so often compete with Jesus? I'll admit that too often I have thought like this; "I just hope I get to ..... before Jesus returns." Then I fill in the blank. Perhaps you have thought it too. The list might include: graduate college, get married, have kids, watch my kids grow up, build my dream house, etc.

Connor's words really inspired me. I want to desire Jesus more than anything else on this earth. May He be first in my life before all other things so that other things really will "grow strangely dim."

No comments: