Home

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas...and then on the road

Well, Christmas morning was delightful. The boys loved their presents and had great fun playing with everything. They kind of just bounced from toy to toy. (I'll post some Christmas morning pictures later.) Our big surprise for the boys was that we are taking them to Legoland/ Disneyland at the end of January. Todd and I were scheduled to go to California to do some interviews and kamp shows for Kanakuk, so we did a little brainstorming and figured out a way that we could take the boys along too! It will be a trip filled with work and filled with fun. The boys seemed to be excited about the trip, but I think it feels a bit intangible to them. Honestly, they were more pumped about the contents of their stockings than the news of the California trip. I'm guessing the excitement will come.

After opening prsents we watched the Disney Christmas Day parade, ate a quick lunch and then got on the road. We are headed to Colorado for some skiing with the Rapp family. We broke the trip up so that it would make it easier and more enjoyable. Day 1 we traveled as far as Junction City, KS. On the way, we stopped to have some Chinese food in Lawrence. While at the restaurant Carter said needed to go to the restroom. After a very long time he returned to our table. He told me that he had clogged the toilet, but not to worry, he had plunged the toilet. I laughed so hard. Can't you just see this skinny little 5-year-old working the plunger by himself. I made sure that he had washed his hands REALLY well.

The hotel in Junction City was great. I think that total there must have been about four cars in the parking lot. We kind of had the place to ourselves. We let the boys swim this morning before we got back on the road.

For lunch we stopped at the famous Brookville Hotel. I have great memories of this place from my childhood. They only serve one meal - fried chicken - and it is delicious. Since you don't have to order, they immediately begin bringing out your food once you are seated. First course: peaches, bread & butter pickles, cottage cheese and cole slaw. Second course: fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits, creamed corn. Dessert: bowl of vanilla ice cream. Everything is served family style. If you are ever traveling across Kansas, you should definitely make a stop in Abilene for some Brookville chicken.

Right now we are exiting I-70 at Goodland, KS. (Yep, I am blogging in the car.) Goodland is where I grew up. We are headed to St. Francis to spend the night with my grandmother. St. Francis is where my mom grew up. We will finish our trip to Colorado tomorrow. I told the boys that we need to make a fun memory every day...that way mom has good blog materiel. Ha!

As I sit here, I can't believe how many miles our family has traveled this fall. We made it to the east coast, to Hays, KS for a wedding, three trips to Texas and now to Colorado. And that is just since August 12th. Lots of trips away from Branson. Suttons, do you even feel like you have neighbors? It is always fun traveling with this brood of boys. (Especially with a fresh coke - Mary Kay, loved your traveling tips!) Until next time....happy trails!

No comments: