Home

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What have we been up to?

Well, since my last posting we have been back in the routine of school/ life. So I thought I would just write about Rapp stuff.

School seems to be going really well. We are studying about Christopher Columbus and early Americans right now. Hunter loves to read and is usually coming back from his assigned reading time to tell me, "Uh mom, I read one more chapter than you told me to!" Math seems to always be a challenge - not just for the students, but also for the teacher. I have a hard time teaching math concepts. Carter loves when I send the older brothers off to do their individual work and he gets to cuddle up on the couch with me and read or work on his phonics. Though it is hard, I think I find something each day that makes me realize I would have missed "that moment" if my boys were away at public school. I am thankful.

This week is "We (Heart) Locals" at the Branson IMAX. Lots of discounts and every IMAX film is free! Totally free! We took the boys last night to see "Under the Sea" and "Hubble." Really fun. Plus, as we were walking in, an IMAX employee stopped up and said, "Are those all your boys? Well I'm gonna give you some popcorn for the movie." He came back with a huge bag of popcorn, 2 Sprites and 4 cups for all the boys to share. I told Todd later that the whole evening was easily a $50 outing...that we got for free. Woo hoo! Tomorrow we are going to watch "Lewis and Clark."

At church last week our pastor challenged us to participate in some adventures for our families/ marriages. Let me share them with you. I thought it was great!
#1 Prayer Challenge - Pray together as a couple/ family every day for the next seven days.
#2 Bible Challenge - Read 2 Timothy out loud as a couple.
#3 Budget Challenge - Cut $50-100 out of your budget this week and give it to Haiti next Sunday.
#4 Serving Challenge - Say "No" to one activity this week and serve in an unexpected way in your neighborhood or community.
#5 Stranger Challenge - Do something surprising for a complete stranger.
#6 Story Challenge - Share with a friend or family member your story of becoming a follower of Christ.
#7 Blessing Challenge - Prepare a written blessing for your spouse and read it in front of your children. (If they live in a distant state, email it to them under the heading "Why I married your mom/ dad.")

OK, so which of these will you decide to do this week for a friend/ stranger/ family member?

Carter has been really funny lately. He tends to be kind of stubborn and we tease him about that, but he adamantly denies it. Here is an example, today he argued with me for about 5 minutes insisting that "pinwheels" were flowers. I even showed him on the page that it said pinwheels. Nope! And last week he denied falling asleep during our school read-aloud time. I said, "Carter, you were asleep on the floor for over an hour." He told me, "No, I just had my eyes closed and I was trying to trick you." For an hour? Tonight he told me that he could beat ANYONE at football. What are his qualifications? Well, he beat Allison Benage at football today at the Chapel Barbecue so he must be a pro!

Today was the Kanakuk/ Neighborhood Chapel Barbecue. Always a fun time to do lunch with all of the kamp folks and people in the neighborhood. I held a baby squirrel in my hands. Yep, the Morgans have 2 squirrels as pets and they were passing the around at the chapel picnic today. Want to see a picture? Well I look a bit cross eyed, but I'll share it with you! OK, I look really cross eyed. No laughing.


In Precepts we are studying James. Oh my, talk about a book that applies to the life of every believer! If you have not studied James recently, pull it back out. This is so good. Each day as I read I am challenged or convicted in some way. I have been stuck on James 1:20 this week: "for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God." So often when I get angry I feel entitled to my anger. But usually my anger is just selfish and sinful - and it works against me as I try to live righteously.

This weekend Todd is helping with a Kanakuk Father/ Son Retreat and he is taking Hunter with him. I am so excited for these guys. What great bonding time and so special that it will be just Todd and Hunter. As for me and the other three, we are going to a fun, free event at the Branson Landing on Saturday morning and then I am hoping to rent a girl movie (maybe Letters to Juliet) to watch after the boys go to bed.

That is it! Until next time...

2 comments:

Sean and Nicole said...

Great post, Bronwyn! I'll be in Branson again this weekend staying at the Landing so if you need an extra set of hands Sat am give me call!

Jamie Jo said...

wish i could have been at the picnic, too!