Home

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Texas and a Funeral

We just returned from Texas tonight. The bags are unpacked, the kids are in bed and I'm on the computer. Todd's grandmother Mammy passed away on Sunday so we headed south for the funeral. It was such a sweet event. Mammy was dearly loved, but she was ready for heaven. In fact, just a few weeks ago she told Todd's sister, "I don't know why I'm still here."

The funeral was actually just a graveside service that Todd and his brother David officiated - which was just what Mammy had asked for. Such a sweet time to remember the life of someone you love and someone who loved Jesus!

Our boys were awesome. Very well behaved at the service and so polite while were at the visitation with all the family. Carter was a little nervous about seeing Mammy's body. He kept asking if he would see her blood or her bones.

When we arrived at the funeral home for the visitation, I was trying to get all the boys into their dress shirts. (Of course we didn't travel in those clothes.) While I was finishing up, Carter, Colton and Connor escaped and headed inside. Hunter alone stood in the parking lot waiting for Todd and I. When I asked him where the brothers were, he said, "They ran inside, but I told Connor to go in and make sure they (Carter and Colton) don't act crazy!" I loved this! My sweet first born Hunter was too timid too go inside without mom and dad, but still knew that he should be responsible and helpful so he instructed Connor to go in and keep track of the youngest boys. What a kid!

One great thing about a funeral is that you get to see lots of family that you don't usually spend time with. We had a fun dinner Wednesday night in Dallas with cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. We did take a big picture of everyone, but I won't post that one. Here is a shot of our family after dinner.

1 comment:

Ellen Davis said...

Hunter Rapp makes things happen. 'What a kid' is right. What a kid.